The Park School of Baltimore is accepting applications for a part-time Library Assistant. This is 10-month, non-exempt position, 20 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 4 hours per day, generally noon to 4 p.m. daily, but some variation may be necessary.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
I . Collections, equipment, and physical space (25%)
- Open library, depending on scheduling, including turning on all computers, checking printers, preparing rooms for the day.
- Shelve books and tidy shelves.
- Make sure all library spaces and equipment (printers, copier) are tidy.
- Manage printers and copiers, making sure they have paper, toner, and are in working order. Contact IT or copier service as needed to keep equipment functioning.
- Collect and store laptop computers after school.
- Track and organize periodicals and newspapers, shelve, process renewals, manage current and back files in their respective locations.
- Read shelves in both libraries as necessary.
II. Processing/Cataloging (25%)
- Order books, DVDs, and other materials, including supplies; track invoices and deliveries; make inquiries to vendors.
- Track and renew subscription databases.
- Process new books for shelving.
- Make changes in cataloging as required.
- Make changes in collection shelving as required.
- Cover books.
- Repair books.
III. Patron and library staff support (20%)
- Help students and teachers check out books.
- Find materials using the card catalog and library databases.
- Help students and teachers use computers, printers, and copier.
- Set-up LS circulation barcode books annually; update patrons as needed.
- Assist librarians as needed.
IV. Circulation (20%)
- Check in materials, including removing date due stickers; and shelve as needed.
- Assist LS children in checking out books as needed.
- Print out date due stickers weekly.
- Change date on display boards in both libraries.
- Notify students when reserved/held books are available.
- Compile and email overdue notices through Follett Destiny system.
- Handle parent/student questions on overdues and billing.
- Manage AV-equipment records and circulation.
V. Special Programs and General Projects (10%)
- Help with all aspects of Lower School Resident Author program and other special author events.
- Negotiate with publishers, order books and organize book sales.
- Help sell books.
- Help with set-ups.
- Assist with special projects.
- Contact, schedule, and oversee library volunteers, manage student workers, including creating and submitting pay sheets.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working with children, ages 4 to 18, and adults in a service-oriented position.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of the school’s philosophy in terms of attitudes towards students.
- Experience with databases and working with specialized computer software, including inputting data, accessing and downloading records and other information. Experience with Follett Destiny desired.
- Experience in dealing with vendors and managing purchases and returns.
- Experience with standard office software programs, especially Microsoft and Google products.
- Highly organized and detail oriented, good oral and written communication skills.
- Library experience, and general knowledge of the Dewey Decimal system preferred.
- Must meet physical demands of the position, in terms of shelving books, bending and reaching, lifting 25 pounds.
Other duties may be requested or assigned.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary, health insurance, and other benefits.
Send cover letter stating your interest in the position, and your salary requirements (email preferred) to:
The Park School of Baltimore
2425 Old Court Road
Baltimore, MD 21208
The Park School does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, ancestry, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or any physical or mental disability unrelated to a reasonable performance of an employee's duties.